Nellie Blanshan was born April 16, 1808 and baptized in Marbletown, New York
on June 5, 1808. On October 16, 1806 she married William H. DeGraff, born
October 16, 1806. In the 1860 census William and Nellie were farming near
Kingston and had children Mary Jane, 23, Lucas, 21, Sarah F., 19, and Theron,
15, still living at home. The city directories for Kingston in the 1870s show Nellie
living alone on “Bowery corner Oak.” In the 1880 federal census a widowed Nellie
was living with her daughter Sarah F. and son-in-law George Mowell, a home
machine salesman in Kingston. William died some time before 1870 and Nellie
died January 27, 1888. Nellie is buried in Bloomington Dutch Reformed Church
Ground in Bloomington, Ulster County, New York.
The children of Nellie Blanshan and William H. DeGraff were:
Delilah – born January 24, 1833 and baptized in Bloomington on May 4. She
married wagonmaster DeWitt M. Van Wey at a young age. Delilah died February
17, 1855 and DeWitt remarried a woman named Delia A.
Mary Jane – born August 27, 1836 and baptized April 2, 1837.
Lina, Leverius or Lucas – born August 3, 1838, and baptized November 13, 1838.
(His name is referenced three different ways in the federal census)
Sarah Frances – born July 15, 1841, baptized September 26, 1841. Died young.
Sarah Frances – born May 27, 1843 or 1846 and baptized January 22. Sarah
married George Mowell (1836) in 1861. He was a foreman for a canal company
and they lived in Rosendale. In later years they lived at 108 Clinton Avenue in
Kingston, according to the city directory. George and Sarah had at least one son,
George Grant, born in 1868.
Theron – born in 1845.
Isadore (female) – born June 13, 1847 and baptized September 22, 1847.
|LEONIN BLANCHAMP, father of
MATTHEUS BLANSHAN, father of
MATHIEU BLANSHAN, father of
MATHEUS BLANSHAN, father of
JOHANNES BLANSHAN, father of
JACOB BLANSHAN, father of
|Bloomington Dutch Reformed Church Ground in Ulster
County where Nellie and William are buried.
|Sarah Frances Degraff Mowell's headstone in
Bloomington Dutch Reformed Church Ground
(photo courtesy of Vivian Piper)