*We were up and at 'em and out the door before 9 a.m.  
We told Linda she was driving again -- we're all too
chicken to drive in downtown New Orleans (especially
with 5 backseat drivers). We headed to the French
Quarter and spent the morning on a horse and buggy
guided tour. Our guide Zeno was great and we had a lot of
fun!  After that we looked in the shops and tried to do all of
the things Brenda instructed us to do.  

*The afternoon was spent looking at old houses.  We
loved it! It was hard to get pictures though because the
traffic behind us didn't appreciate us driving so slow. We
left New Orleans around 4 p.m. and headed up the
Natchez Trail.  

*Oh dear! Barbara wanted to sing in the car. It started off
nice -- but then we decided to sing in different languages.  
You have to listen and watch the videos! (Videos will not
be posted until Monday evening when Becca gets to her
home computer.) We decided to sing in our goat boy
voices.   for Brenda's sake. We got to laughing so hard we
could hardly make it through. Eventually we did and it's
recorded for posterity.  We drove to Natchez and stopped
for the night.

*We have found that people in the South do everything
incredibly slow. Everywhere we went there were lines.
Think about how that works when you are traveling with
Nancy! We stayed at the Comfort Inn. Everyone slept
really well and it was almost 8 a.m. when we woke up.

*We were back on the road by 9:20 a.m. headed for
Vicksburg, Mississippi. We found a mansion there where
we could take a self-guided tour. It's called Cedar Grove
Mansion and it was built in 1840. General Grant stayed
there and we saw several holes where cannonballs had
pierced the walls.  It was used as a hospital during the
Civil War. We took lots of pictures.  

*Back on the road headed North. We were hungry but we
couldn't seem to find a place to eat when we needed one!  
Good thing we had crackers and chips in the car. I was so
hungry that I dug in the bottom of my purse and found a
melted Almond Joy.  We watched 'My Fair Lady' in the car.

*At 1:30 p.m. we finally found a little delicatessen in
Rolling Fork, Mississippi. It's a quaint little cafe named
'Highway 61 Delicatessen' that gave us the finest dining
experience we have had during the whole trip! The owner,
Mica, is an artist, and her work is featured all throughout
the cafe. Her brother Trey, the host, led us back to our
table in the back where we had a whole room to
ourselves. There were guitars leaning against the wall by
Amy so guess what? Yep -- we started singing again
while we were waiting to order. We sang the old gospel
hymns. Dad would've been proud of us. The owners and
waitress loved it. Amy even sang our food order! It was so
funny.  There were two young boys that heard us sing so
they asked if they could dance for us. We said sure -- it
was so cute. They were very talented.  We videotaped
their performance and they asked if we could put it on
The food was fantastic -- gourmet fare.  Everything was
fresh, tastefully displayed and delicious.   Two hours later
(Remember, we're still in the South) -- we thought we
were on our way -- nope. We got to know the owner's
brother Trey and he wanted to show us an old house a
couple of miles out of town.  He said it was a big old
house sitting up on a hill -- and it is haunted! He told us
some great stories. We headed out there and when we
got there it was unbelievable. The door was unlocked! We
snuck (sic) around and took pictures and Amy couldn't
get out of there fast enough. Trey was such a nice guy
and a wonderful host. Thanks Trey!

*Back on the road again. We sang, looked at the scenery
and watched a movie. After a few hours of this we got it in
our head that we needed a Dairy Queen. We looked and
looked and looked and couldn't find one. Finally we1
stopped for gas and asked where to find one. We were in
Arkansas and evidently DQs aren't big there. We found
the DQ and then got back on the road. It was dark and we
were bored, so Amy got on the phone and called the
brother-in-laws with her Bertha Big Butt southern accent.
We laughed so hard because she had all the guys on
speaker phone.

*We got to Rod's sister Linda's place and immediately
went to bed.  We were up at 6:30 a.m. and Amy was off for
Ohio by 7 a.m. The rest of us were off by 7:40 because of
the cosmetic process. It was a pretty quiet trip home
from there. I think we are all tired. We got to Mason City at
5:30 p.m. and left Nancy, then dropped Linda off at 6:15
p.m. in Albert Lea.  Barbara, Becca and Suzanne got to
Mom and Dad's about 7:30 p.m.  We had called ahead to
place our order for Dad's spaghetti, which was waiting for
us when we got there.
Somehow Cousin Itt had climbed into the back seat...
Brenda had beignets and cafe au lait in New Orleans
The flirty balloon man in New Orleans
Mica and Trey of Highway 61 Delicatessen
The dancing brothers Eric and Damien
Our waitress at the Highway 61 Delicatessen
The haunted house on the hill
Brenda was welcomed to Mississippi
Slaves quarters on the house on the hill
This grand piano at Cedar Grove mansion is
so rare it couldn't be opened for display. It's
worth was one million dollars.
Cedar Grove mansion in Vicksburg, Mississippi
Our table at Highway 61
Brenda seated in the Cedar Grove dining room
A common site in the van.
Click on the photo below to enter the album

We all sang 'Row Row Row Your Boat' in 'goat' for Brenda. We
made it completely through once before cracking up.